Sad news today in the Big Apple, another crane collapsed on the UES this morning. 2 people (construction workers) were killed. It's been all over the news. Sad, but more frustrating that we can't maintain safe construction sites. I bet the Bloomberg administration is up in arms about this. I can only hope this will prompt better safety standards for other cranes and sites being built elsewhere in the city. I being a preservation-yuppy am all about decreasing the amount of construction going on in this city. When I lived down in SoHo on Varick St, they began building the Trump SoHo tower. I recall many were up in arms about this god-awful glass building soaring above the quaint 3 story brick and iron-cast buildings, which gives SoHo it's own historical integrity. I don't know how they got the zoning clearance to build such an impersonal ugly looking skyscraper. It's gentrification, and it's becoming more apparent each day as more and more rich people from Europe move here to fill these rich 1.1+ million dollar condos. I for one would never want to live in a glass building. Although I'll gladly take a nice brownstone anytime...preferably in Chelsea, W20-22nd St, anywhere btw 8th-10th Ave. As I walk by these gorgeous tree lined streets, thoughts of my tragic financial state and lack of security kick in, for I know I will never be able to afford these places...unless of course I marry a rich sugar daddy. Better get on that soon before I hit 30. Since moving to Manhattan I have become somewhat obsessed with real-estate. Many of my colleagues look at me strangely when I discuss the crisis of the housing market as if I am speaking like a middle-aged gay man going through the throws of his gay-mid-life crisis. I can only conclude the reason why I feel the way I feel is because I have an old soul. I never felt like I was truly the age I was. Whether I was 8 or 18, 20, or 23...I have always felt beyond my years. This has made me feel at times very isolated from the rest of society. Coming to the realization of being an outcast is not easy, however those close to me are always there to comfort me and share their own experiences. I am thankful for being aware of what I know is right and it has definitely helped in times of turning away from something you know isn't going to work in the long run. All in all I just keep waiting for the moment where it won't feel so depressing at times. Perhaps in a couple of years? Who knows. In the mean time, I know the most important thing to do is to stay busy with my practicing, working out, and staying informed.
On a completely different note, I watched this documentary called A Very British Sex Scandal: Docu-Drama It was VERY informative and well made. It's in 8 parts on youtube. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me balanced and clear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment